NEWS: 5 Delta entrepreneurs nominated for the Global Sourcing Council’s 2017 3S AwardsApril 13, 2017
Entrepreneurs join exclusive group with global reach to make a difference
MISSISSIPPI DELTA REGION – Five Delta-based entrepreneurs have been nominated to participate in a global competition that rewards businesses devoted to global sustainability. The five businesses from the Delta join a group of 77 international nominees representing 22 countries. Four are fellows of DRA’s Delta Entrepreneurship Network and one is a fellow of the Historically Black Colleges and Universities Entrepreneurial Ecosystem Initiative.
Nominees are recognized for adhering to the highest standards of ethical, sustainable and socially responsible business practices.
The Delta entrepreneurs include:
- Inspirational Undies, which uses organic fabrics with encouraging messages to inspire child leukemia patients. Its founder is Anissa Stewart of Philander Smith College, a Historically Black College and University in Little Rock, AR.
- KALIKOE Galaxy, using blockchain technology, this social-media tool lets users convert “likes” from different platforms into currency that can be used to purchase items from online vendors. Its founder is Quentin Allen of Pine Bluff, AR.
- Renewable Energies, which manufactures biomass gasifiers that convert waste into different forms of energy like electricity-activated carbon or biofuels. Its founder is Sandeep Pedenkar of Memphis, TN.
- Skycision, which provides mobile drone technology to the global agricultural industry and helps farmers detect crop stress early in the growing season. Its founder is Brendan Carroll of Memphis, TN.
- Think I.N.K., which is a zero-waste management program that prevents recyclable material and electronic waste from entering municipal landfills. Its founder is Carl Morgan of Tuskegee, AL.
“These nominations demonstrate that the Mississippi River Delta has the innovative human capital and resources necessary to be competitive across the globe, and it also validates the technical assistance and mentorship provided by DRA’s Delta Entrepreneurship Network and our mission to identify, connect, nurture, and grow startups and small businesses” said DRA Federal Co-Chairman Chris Masingill. “Congratulations to these five entrepreneurs and the work they have done to achieve attention on the international stage.”
Established in 2008, the Global Sourcing Council’s 2017 3S Awards recognizes small and medium enterprises that have demonstrated exceptional social and economic leadership in innovating and implementing Sustainable and Socially responsible Sourcing (3S) practices.
The annual 3S Awards identifies, honors and empowers social enterprises by providing visibility, connections to successful global business leaders and access to business resources and financial capital to succeed.
“The Global Sourcing Council is thrilled that five entrepreneurs from the Delta region have been nominated for the international 3S Awards, celebrating socially conscious and sustainability focused businesses around the world,” said Kelsey Crouch, Managing Director of the Global Sourcing Council. “The nominees from the Delta represent what we see as the future of business, dedicated entrepreneurs creating successful ventures that make fundamental improvements that have a local and global reach and impact.”
Winners will be recognized May 17 at an awards presentation at the United Nations headquarters and will feature Grammy Award winner Ricky Kej. Five awards will be given in the categories: Social Impact through Technology Innovation, Basic Needs, Empowerment, Climate Change, and People’s Choice.
The finalists in the competition will receive:
- Outstanding networking opportunities with UN global leaders, businesses, and other professional mentors
- Credibility as a sustainable business within the global sustainability industry
- The opportunity to inspire global companies to better their own sourcing practices
- Free global visibility for all applicants through mailings and marketing channels
- Invitation to a four-day bootcamp for Executive Leadership Training and Development
The public will be allowed to attend the awards ceremony at the United Nations. For information on passes, contact the Global Sourcing Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vote for our Delta entrepreneurs for the People's Choice Award at www.gsc3sawards.com/peopleschoice
About the Delta Regional Authority
The Delta Regional Authority is a federal-state partnership created by Congress in 2000 to help create jobs, build communities, and improve lives through strategic investments in economic development in 252 counties and parishes across eight states. To date, the DRA’s SEDAP investments, together with its state and local partners, have leveraged federal resources into nearly $3.5 billion in public and private investment for local small business owners, entrepreneurs, workforce improvement, and infrastructure development projects. DRA investments have helped to create and retain more than 37,000 jobs, train more than 7,300 workers for 21st Century jobs, and deliver water and sewer improvements to more than 66,000 residents. Learn more at dra.gov.
About the Global Sourcing Council:
The Global Sourcing Council (GSC) is an association of international professionals committed to creating a more sustainable world by educating businesses on the benefits of social responsibility and sustainable business practices, advocating for tangible action and leadership by global business leaders, and inspiring the next generation of social entrepreneurs. As a member of the United Nations Global Compact, and with Consultative Status with the UN's Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), the GSC has adopted the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as the framework for achieving their mission to work towards a sustainable world. www.gscouncil.org
About the 2017 GSC 3S Awards:
The 2017 GSC Awards in Sustainable and Socially Responsible Sourcing, or 3S Awards, is a global celebration of socially conscious and sustainability-focused businesses of the world. Produced by the Global Sourcing Council, the 3S Awards is the only ceremony that identifies, honors, and empowers social enterprises by providing them visibility in our global economy, connections to successful global business leaders, and access to the business resources and financial capital needed to lead sustainable businesses. We aim to bring a diverse community of shareholders to the table to celebrate sustainable and successful business practices. www.gsc3sawards.com
Managing Director, Global Sourcing Council
Director, 3S Awards